Saturday, March 12, 2022

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Powerhouse Indicator, which has previously released a quartet of extras-laden Columbia Pictures film noir collections, has announced their newest release: Columbia Noir #5: Humphrey Bogart. The titles will be DEAD RECKONING (1947), KNOCK ON ANY DOOR (1949), TOKYO JOE (1949), SIROCCO (1951), THE FAMILY SECRET (1951), and THE HARDER THEY FALL (1956). Commentary tracks will be contributed by excellent historians including Alan K. Rode, Farran Smith Nehme, and Nora Fiore to name just three. I got all of the previous sets for Christmas last year and am enjoying them. I'll definitely be wanting to add this one to my collection.

...David Vineyard has recently had a couple nice film reviews at Mystery File: PACIFIC BLACKOUT (1941) and BROKEN LANCE (1954). How I wish the very enjoyable PACIFIC BLACKOUT would have a DVD release! I reviewed it in 2015; BROKEN LANCE I reviewed in 2007, updating it with more thoughts in 2018.

...At Vienna's Classic Hollywood, Vienna has reviewed William Gargan and Marjorie Lord in THE ARGYLE SECRETS (1948), which will be shown at next month's Noir City Hollywood Festival...Kendahl has reviewed the new Warner Archive Blu-ray of GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 (1933) at Watching Classic Movies...Glenn Erickson's latest reviews include THE DEVIL STRIKES AT NIGHT (1957), a Robert Siodmak film which was one of a handful I was able to see at the 2020 Noir City Fest...Glenn's colleague Charlie Largent takes a look at the THE LITTLE RASCALS VOLUME 4, on Blu-ray from ClassicFlix.

...Ernest Shackleton's lost ship, the Endurance, has been found in Antarctica, remarkably intact after over a century underwater. A National Geographic documentary on the discovery will air on Disney+ later this year.

...Blu-ray news from Toby at 50 Westerns From the 50s: SEVEN WAYS FROM SUNDOWN (1960), starring Audie Murphy and Barry Sullivan, will be released by Explosive Media on a region-free Blu-ray in May. For more on this terrific film, please visit my 2020 review at Classic Movie Hub.

...Indie theaters are struggling as the windows shorten between first-run theatrical distribution and streaming or Blu-ray release.

...A couple weeks ago I shared a video of a former home of Bette Davis, located in Toluca Lake, which is slated for demolition. I also mentioned touring the grounds of another of her former homes a few years ago. The latter home, in Glendale, is now for sale. There are lots of photos here.

...Great news! This summer Kino Lorber is rereleasing the first volume of their Dark Side of Cinema series. The five titles are HE RAN ALL THE WAY (1951), WITNESS TO MURDER (1954), STORM FEAR (1955), A BULLET FOR JOEY (1955), and BIG HOUSE, U.S.A. (1955).

...Notable Passings: Conrad Janis, best known for playing Pam Dawber's father on TV's MORK AND MINDY (1978-1982), has died at 94. His acting career went way back to supporting roles in '40s films such as MARGIE (1946), THE BRASHER DOUBLOON (1947), and THAT HAGEN GIRL (1947). He was also a trombonist and an art gallery owner...Laurel Goodwin, who appeared with Elvis Presley in GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! (1962), has died at 79.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my March 5th roundup.

8 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

To get a mention in your column, Laura, is always a pleasure! Many thanks.
What a beautiful house Bette Davis had. Loved looking at the pictures.
Am I ever going to have a change of heart about Audie Murphy - I’m just not a fan. I find him dull!
It was amazing, the discovery of The Endurance. Reminds me of the Titanic being found in I think 1985.
When I looked at the Bogart box set, one title I didn’t recognise was The Family Secret and I couldn’t figure why it was included , as Bogie isn’t in it - the connection seems to be that his company Santana Productions made it. It’s a film I’ve never heard of, with John Derek and Lee J. Cobb . Sounds interesting.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Jerry Entract said...

I was also wondering why "THE FAMILY SECRET" included but I think Vienna has the answer. I think the film is a rather good drama and worth viewing.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Hi Laura, Pacific Blackout is a movie I've been desperately trying to find. Can't really find it anywhere. Do you have any idea how to get my hands on that movie?

I just watched it's sort of companion piece Fly by Night which was great fun.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Vienna! I enjoyed your preview of the movie I'll be seeing next month!

I was fortunate to see photographs made from the original glass plates that survived the Endurance at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum around 20 years ago. I'm fascinated by the ship having been located!

Perhaps one day you'll find a film that "unlocks" Audie Murphy for you, Vienna...or maybe not! :)

THE FAMILY SECRET is definitely an interesting title to have included in the Bogart set. I love lesser-known films like that being more widely available.

Margot, PACIFIC BLACKOUT is "out there" on the internet at that big Russian site...if you need more help drop me an email!

I agree, FLY-BY-NIGHT is a fun one. One of the handful of films I saw at the 2020 Noir City Fest!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:14 PM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Thanks Laura, found it. The copy is not great but I'll watch it anyway.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Excellent, Margot! It's a really fun little film, and I so wish we could see it in a nice print. I hope you'll be able to enjoy it despite a poor print. I would be so thrilled if a set of Paramount "B's" was released with titles like this and FLY-BY-NIGHT.

Best wishes,
Laura

7:03 PM  
Blogger Place Logo Here said...

Love your blog. You are my go-to review site when considering blurays of movies new to me.

Your mention of Shackleton's ship, combined with your apparent ability to play releases from all regions, prompts me to highly recommend this recent BFI set: https://shop.bfi.org.uk/south-the-heroic-age-of-antarctic-exploration-on-film.html

8:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm very glad to know that my reviews are helpful. That's wonderful!

Thank you also so much for the link to the BFI set, I do indeed have the ability to play all regions, and I was unaware of this set. It's of great interest to me - Antarctic exploration is fascinating. Books and films on the Antarctic and Mount Everest are my favorite topics for "armchair exploration." I'm bookmarking this set.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older