Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Newest TCM Classic Film Festival Announcements

Today was the latest batch of announcements for the upcoming TCM Classic Film Festival!

I'm delighted that Piper Laurie will be present for one of the films I'd most like to see, Douglas Sirk's HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL (1952). Rock Hudson and Charles Coburn costar.

She will also be present for THE HUSTLER (1961).

Also of great interest: Animator Floyd Norman will be honored at a screening of THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967). It was great to read that this screening will be at Disney's El Capitan Theatre, the same venue where I saw this film during the 2014 festival.

With the Egyptian Theatre unavailable, I've hoped that the TCM Festival might return to the El Capitan for some screenings this year. I'm glad that will be the case for at least one film, and we'll soon know whether any additional films will be shown there.

I'm also especially interested in the screening of I, THE JURY (1953) which will be shown in 3-D. I saw that film in 3-D at the 2013 World 3-D Film Expo at the Egyptian Theatre and quite enjoyed it, especially Peggie Castle. I would definitely like to see it again for the first time in close to a decade.

Other announcements included a tribute to Bruce Dern, whose films COMING HOME (1978) and NEBRASKA (2013) will be shown, and the lineup of poolside screenings at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, which will include Elvis Presley in BLUE HAWAII (1961).

As anticipated at the time I wrote my previous festival update in February, Los Angeles County has dropped its requirement for indoor masks and is in the process of eliminating other restrictions. However, this week TCM announced festival protocols which are much more stringent than state and local requirements, including masks required at all indoor events.

TCM does reserve the right to update its protocols going forward. Given the combination of rapidly declining state COVID numbers and the accumulating data regarding the lack of efficacy of cloth masks, perhaps there will be a change in this regard in the next six weeks.

That said, barring any announced changes, festival attendees should be prepared to follow TCM's current guidelines. TCM is offering refunds to anyone unable or unwilling to meet their guidelines, which must be requested by April 15th, 2022.

The TCM Classic Film Festival will take place in Hollywood from April 21st to 24th, 2022.

For anyone who may have missed the addendum to my previous festival post, I'm very pleased to announce that I will be covering the festival again this year as a member of the credentialed media.


Brief festival updates were also included in my "Around the Blogosphere This Week" link roundups on January 29th and February 5th, 2022.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seth said...

Oh boy--I just read those guidelines, and I must admit that I'm happy that I decided to skip this year. How draconian. I do hope to join you there next year.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Seth!

I'm hopeful that some of the guidelines will be loosened given that cases are still falling in LA and the festival is still a month away. We'll see...

Best wishes,
Laura

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older