Sunday, October 09, 2022

The 2021 Lone Pine Film Festival Parade

As this is posted I'm away at the Lone Pine Film Festival, and one of the things I'll be enjoying at the festival on Sunday is the parade.

The first couple years we attended the festival we missed the parade as we still had a high schooler and we needed to head home on Sunday rather than Monday. Since 2018 we've been able to stay the entire weekend; my photos from the 2018 parade are here, with 2019 photos here.


Prior to the 2021 festival parade my husband shot some photos as parade participants gathered at Lone Pine High School. Here in the center are Patrick Wayne, Wyatt McCrea, and Robert Carradine. The names Wayne, McCrea, and Carradine certainly represent significant contributions to film history in general and Western film history in particular.


Bruce Boxleitner ready to go! Click on any photo to enlarge it for a closer look.


Rob Word of A Word on Westerns moderates many of the festival discussions.


Here's Darby Hinton, Israel of TV's DANIEL BOONE series, riding in the parade. That's Robert Carradine again, on the right of the photo.


Here's a different shot with Bobby Carradine in the center of the group:


Patrick Wayne riding in the parade:


And Bruce Boxleitner again. Bruce loves classic films and Westerns and is a frequent festival guest.


My husband covered the opposite side of the street from me -- here's Wyatt McCrea in front of the fabled Dow Villa Motel:


Stuntman Diamond Farnsworth, the son of stuntman-actor Richard Farnsworth, was bending over to toss candy to kids from the back of the car:


Festival regular John Gilliland in his authentic Hopalong Cassidy costume:


J.C. Munns accompanies all the silent films at the festival -- and plays during the parade as well!


It wouldn't be the Lone Pine parade without some kind of farm equipment! Local veterans, the 4H Club, the Forest Service, and fire fighters also take part.



Lone Pine emergency vehicles were well represented! The kids in the street are picking up more candy.


Smokey the Bear was on hand also!


The Lone Pine Film Festival Parade is a very enjoyable slice of Americana in a lovely little town. Can't wait to do it again!


2021 coverage for my Classic Movie Hub Western RoundUp column: Preview - 2021 Lone Pine Film Festival; Lone Pine Film Locations.

5 Comments:

Blogger J-Dub said...

I love small town things like this!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Lynn Rutledge said...

I've been enjoying your Lone Pine Film Festival coverage. In case you're interested, I came upon this newly posted documentary today in which two different tour guides take Woody Wise (of the Brotherhood of the Popcorn) to many Alabama Hills filming sites. A lot of movie stills and clips are shown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiU0wS2trgU

3:40 PM  
Blogger Lee R said...

That was fun to see all the great photos you took. I was most impressed with the Hopalong Cassidy guy, from a distance he really looked like the real thing in his outfit. You could have sworn it was Hoppy. Close-up his face probably wouldn't have looked like Bill Boyd, but from a distance he was a clone.

I've become a Hopalong Cassidy fan over the past 10 years, discovering for the first time his movies, his TV series and his radio shows. I was a kid in the '60's but never saw any of the Hopppy stuff, I heard the name and knew he was a cowboy star, but never saw or heard any of his shows. Till about 10 years ago thanks to DVDs.

Now I'm a big fan and I feature many of his radio shows on my podcast, "Sounds Like Radio" with Your Humble Host. The Hopalong radio shows are a lot of fun to listen to, try it out and see. I think you'll like them along with the many other radio shows I've done there. My main features are the shows I do with retro-style music with occasional visits from Grandpa & Crazy Gugenheim (my imitations of Walter Brennan & Frank Fontaine) along with their real recordings. All this along with an episode of The Great Gildersleeve. Everything else you see are my separate old time radio show features I call the Library of Sound. You'll also find a lot of my own tapes of Jean Shepherd I recorded back in the '70s. He was the great story teller who created "A Christmas Story".
Sounds Like Radio and my Library of Sound shows are all here and all free with no annoying ads either:
https://anchor.fm/your-humble-host

2:30 PM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, I'm really enjoying your wonderful coverage of the Lone Pine Film Festival here and on your Twitter site. The photographs and your commentary are really top-notch. I hope the attendance was good for the festival. Thank you for taking us along with you.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm catching up after attending the 2022 festival.

J-Dub, the festival really is a wonderful slice of Americana. I enjoy it every year.

Lynn, thank you so much for sharing that link to Woody's footage of the Alabama Hills. It was great to say hello to him this year, though I only ran into him once! He's retired from showing the moving at the festival, a job taken over by Steve Latshaw. I'm not sure whether or not I saw this footage previously and will enjoy checking it out.

Lee, John Gilliland is "Hoppy," and he's done a lot of research in the Bill Boyd archives to make sure his costume is perfect. A few years ago I was on a tour where he explained the changes made to the costume in the movies over time. Like you I've become a fan of Hoppy in the last decade, and I can credit the Lone Pine Film Festival for my introduction and continued exposure. Great to hear that you are sharing his radio shows! Thank you for sharing the link.

Walter, thank you also for your kind words for my coverage here and at Twitter. I try my best on Twitter to give people a "real time" feeling of what they might experience day by day if they attend, then provide overviews here. Attendance seemed very good this year, with most tours selling out, and there were many celebrity guests.

I hope anyone interested who's not attended will look into being there in 2023!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older