Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Latest 2023 TCM Classic Film Festival Announcements

Today Turner Classic Movies announced several interesting titles for this April's TCM Classic Film Festival.

Here are the newly announced films:

*ONE WAY PASSAGE (1932), the pre-Code classic starring William Powell and Kay Francis

*THE WISER SEX (1932), a pre-Code I've never seen starring Claudette Colbert and Melvyn Douglas, with a supporting cast including Franchot Tone - this is the kind of film which is typically a festival "sellout"!

*OLD ACQUAINTANCE (1943), an 80th anniversary showing starring Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins (Update: This film is no longer on the schedule, but THE OLD MAID starring the same actresses will be shown instead.)

*THE RED SHOES (1948), a 75th anniversary showing of the Powell-Pressburger masterpiece starring Moira Shearer, which I was fortunate to see at UCLA several years ago -- and would love to see again

*IKIRU (1952) directed by Akira Kurosawa

*AIRPORT (1970), which will be shown in 70mm; I had a great time seeing this at the Egyptian Theatre nearly a decade ago and, similar to THE RED SHOES, I'd love to experience it again

*STAND AND DELIVER (1988) - a 35th anniversary screening

The complete list of announced films to date has a page on the festival website.

The TCM Classic Film Festival will take place in Hollywood from April 13th to 16th, 2023.

Previously: TCM Announces 2023 Festival Dates and Theme (October 18, 2022); 2023 TCM Classic Film Festival Announcements (November 11, 2022).

There was also a brief festival update regarding Russ Tamblyn appearing at the festival in my "Around the Blogosphere This Week" news roundup on January 14, 2023.

Updates: New TCM Classic Film Festival Announcements (February 16, 2023); Latest TCM Classic Film Festival Announcements (March 4, 2023); TCM Classic Film Festival Announces Opening Night Movie (March 15, 2023); The 2023 TCM Classic Film Festival Schedule (March 29, 2023).

2 Comments:

Blogger Terence Towles Canote said...

I was so happy to learn they are showing Stand and Deliver. Even before I had a personal connection to the film, it numbered among my favourite movies. I always want to go to TCMFF, but the fact that they are showing it makes me really want to go this year. I hate that I will miss it.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Terry, I sure wish you could go, I know that movie has special meaning for you.

Best wishes,
Laura

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older