Thursday, December 04, 2008

Farrell's Ice Cream Returning To Orange County

Nancy Luna of the Orange County Register recently reported that Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour is making a comeback, with a future restaurant planned for Orange County.

For many of us, Farrell's is a fond memory. I visited the Beach Boulevard Farrell's many times growing up. It wasn't so much about the ice cream -- I always thought Baskin-Robbins was better -- as the experience. What O.C. kid didn't attend a birthday party at Farrell's and enjoy the crazy goings-on when a Zoo was delivered? (Loved the little plastic animals in the ice cream...of course, they're probably outlawed now as a choking hazard!) And one always marveled if someone in the group could eat a Pig Trough.

I also remember they had really good hot dogs...I seem to recall toasted, buttery buns with those?

Additional posts in the Register can be found here, here, and here.

Here's a fun site, The Farrell's Zone, dedicated to Farrell's history.

7 Comments:

Blogger David K. said...

Thanks for the post Laura. We lost all of them in Northern California some time ago. I grew up on the peninsula (south of S.F.) where we had two.

The Pig's Trough was what I remember ordering the most when we went with family, but the Zoo was something else at parties. It was huge, but probably would seem smaller today as It's Its do (either my hand got bigger or the It's Its got smaller). I also remember having to cover my ears whenever they brought it out.

It's good to see that someone sees value in the brand of Farrell's, I only hope someone does so as well with Mothers Cookies (just ate my last one today).

David

5:38 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi David,

I've still got a stash of a couple bags each of Mother's Circus Animal and Cookie Parade cookies. They don't expire till March so we're stretching them out to make them last! I have been hoping someone will buy Mother's recipes or revive the brand. I especially miss the Fudge Flaky Flix which Mother's briefly revived earlier this year. (You can read my post on Mother's here.)

Thanks for sharing your Farrell's memories!

Best wishes,
Laura

5:53 PM  
Blogger Rick Moore said...

That brings back some memories. Visiting Farrell's with the church youth group was a big deal when I was a kid.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

There must be a lot of people like us who have similar memories, Rick. I'd enjoy taking my kids to the new Farrell's so they can see what it's like for themselves. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

9:39 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I think I was only there once or twice, but I remember the Jingle!
LOL

3:50 PM  
Blogger UGN said...

From Mrs. UNG:
Didn't we go there on the eve of your wedding?

You, Cindy, Geri Ann and I.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, that's a blast from the past -- you're right, we did! I wonder if that was the last time I was there?!

Laura

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older