Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Remembering Dean Stockwell

I was very much saddened to learn of the passing of Dean Stockwell on November 7, 2021. He was 85.


Stockwell had a multifaceted career, beginning as a child actor; in later years he was known for TV's QUANTUM LEAP (1989-93), BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2006-09), and more.


The films Stockwell made in his earliest years are my favorites, especially ANCHORS AWEIGH (1945), seen here with Frank Sinatra:


The delightful HOME SWEET HOMICIDE (1946) with Randolph Scott and Lynn Bari, with Peggy Ann Garner and Connie Marshall as his siblings:


DEEP WATERS (1948), a wonderful slice of Americana which should be better known, seen here with Dana Andrews, Anne Revere, and Jean Peters:


A perfect filming of THE SECRET GARDEN (1949), seen here with Brian Roper and Margaret O'Brien:


The beautiful STARS IN MY CROWN (1950) with Joel McCrea and Ellen Drew:


And with McCrea again in one of the first McCrea Westerns I ever saw, CATTLE DRIVE (1951):


It says something about Stockwell's career that he did such significant work spanning many decades. I'm deeply appreciative of all the happiness his films have given me over the years.

Obituaries: The Los Angeles Times, The Hollywood Reporter, Variety, and a particularly fine, thorough piece by Sheila O'Malley at Roger Ebert.com.

Reviews of Dean Stockwell films at Laura's Miscellaneous Musings: THE VALLEY OF DECISION (1945), HOME SWEET HOMICIDE (1946), THE ARNELO AFFAIR (1947), THE ROMANCE OF ROSY RIDGE (1947), DEEP WATERS (1948), and STARS IN MY CROWN (1950).

Update: Here's a review of SONG OF THE THIN MAN (1947).

3 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

This is very sad news. My favorite of his will always be Anchors Aweigh, in which he was absolutely perfect. But I also loved Quantum Leap and whenever I caught him in any other movie or tv show. RIP.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

A lovely tribute, Laura.

Deep Waters was new to me within the past couple of years (a second-hand store find). It was unexpected and unique. I agree that it deserves a wider audience. It has, at this date, only 273 votes on the IMDb.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Deb, I took am so fond of ANCHORS AWEIGH, which helped me to fall in love with MGM musicals and which I've enjoyed so many times over the years. THE SECRET GARDEN was another favorite.

Thank you, Caftan Woman! I really wish DEEP WATERS would find its audience. A bit surprising more people don't know it given the popularity of Dana Andrews.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older