Saturday, November 14, 2009

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...I love Eric Tan's new posters for Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID and SLEEPING BEAUTY. Click the title of this post for more info about Tan's work, posted at Slashfilm.

...Speaking of Disney, this MiceChat Update has info on the executive job switch at the top of Disney theme parks management, as well as photos of Christmas decorations and the new Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. Looks like Disneyland parking will be a nightmare for some time to come...someone was asleep at the switch failing to think through the ramifications of shutting down the Timon lot to make way for Cars Land.

...Here's a nice spread on The Pioneer Woman from Southern Living, with thanks to J.C. at The Shelf.

...The L.A. Times recently ran an article on THE YOUNG VICTORIA as part of the run-up to the film's long-awaited U.S. release. It was due to come out yesterday but was pushed back to December 23rd.

...Current DVD sales for early Christmas shoppers: 50% Off Criterion DVDs at Barnes and Noble (I picked up THAT HAMILTON WOMAN)... 40% off the full retail price at Deep Discount through November 29th... A fabulous $5.79 per DVD sale at Amazon, with many classic titles available. Other titles are on sale for slightly higher prices.

...And some more movie shopping news, the Turner Classic Movies website has some cool stuff if you're shopping for a fan of classic movies and TCM.

...Season 4 of ADAM-12 is coming to DVD in February. My boys can't get enough of this show or another Jack Webb series, EMERGENCY!

...Last week the L.A. Times profiled Barbara Fairchild of Bon Appetit, the biggest food magazine left in business after the sudden demise of Gourmet.

...Here's a centennial tribute to Robert Ryan, and a nice photo spread on Ryan's BERLIN EXPRESS (1948).

...Margaret O'Brien, who starred as Tootie in the classic film MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944), appears in person at the 2:00 stage performance of Musical Theatre West's production of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS on Sunday, November 15th, in Long Beach, California. I wish I had time to attend...but fortunately I was able to meet her when I was college age, and she very kindly signed a still from THE SECRET GARDEN (1949).

...This reissue of an old Ames Brothers Christmas CD was a great find for my Christmas music collection. It has some nice tracks, which can be sampled at Amazon.

...The L.A. Times published an overview of movie Scrooges through the years. My favorite CHRISTMAS CAROL movies are a tie between the sweet 1938 MGM version and what I consider the definitive production, which first aired in 1984, starring George C. Scott. Honorable mention goes to MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL (1983). Feel free to contribute your vote for your favorite CHRISTMAS CAROL in the comments!

...Notable passing: David Lloyd, the brilliant comedy writer who wrote many episodes of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, CHEERS, and FRASIER, has passed away at the age of 75. Lloyd's best-known script was the MTM SHOW's "Chuckles Bites the Dust," which is regularly listed among the all-time great TV episodes. As a fan of FRASIER, in particular, I feel blessed by all the laughter Mr. Lloyd brought into my life.

Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I heard about Mr. Lloyd's passing on the radio and they played a sound clip from that episode of Chuckles dying. So, so funny.

So, now we have to continue to wait to see The Young Victoria - sigh.

I read on MiceChat that Disneyland was very pleasant yesterday. I hope to go on Thursday. I have a former student who is a performer in Jubilee and I hope he is working that day.

I also believe the George C. Scott version of Christmas Carol is outstanding. I remember recording it off the TV on VHS back when it came out. Sponsored then by IBM, the company my husband is retired from. My favorite version is Muppets Christmas Carol. My daughter and I always watch it on Christmas Eve.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene,

MUPPETS CHRISTMAS CAROL is also on our Christmas shelf. :) Glad you have also enjoyed the Scott version. It's such a beautiful film. (How I wish we could get the production of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST he did for Hallmark Hall of Fame...)

I hope THE YOUNG VICTORIA gets a lot of nice publicity as a Christmas release. I hope others enjoy it as much as I did -- I can't think of the last time I watched a "new" movie three times in a matter of weeks. I would happily go see it once more to have the opportunity to see it on the "big screen."

Best wishes,
Laura

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older