Thursday, March 04, 2010

Blogger Autopagination

I'm glad I recently read Raquelle's Tweet about Blogger's new "autopagination," or I would have wondered what was going on with my blog last night.

Blogger has a new program which is limiting the amount of information which can be posted on a blog's "front page," based on the number of images and amount of content. Click the title of this post for the article.

I've always had a week's worth of posts available on the front page of my blog, and last night I was suddenly down to four days. I assume I was impacted because of my recent photo posts on Las Vegas. Today I'm back to five days, but still not as many days as are normally visible on the blog's front page. (Update: I went back down to four days visible after putting two more posts up today.)

Ostensibly the autopagination is so that pages will load more quickly, but I'm frankly a bit disturbed that Blogger is unilaterally changing my blog's design and limiting the content available to readers at first glance.

In the meantime...I've been trying to figure out if it's possible to have an "older posts" button at the bottom right of this page, so that readers can easily get to more content without the need to go into the monthly archives, which are linked at the left of the page.

Many Blogspot blogs have this "older posts" feature, but since the idea was first suggested to me a few months ago, I haven't been able to figure out how to install it. My tech support (i.e., my older kids) aren't sure the feature is available with this layout and/or the "old editor" I am using.

If anyone has any suggestions on this topic, I'd be very appreciative if you would drop me a comment or an email. Thank you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Hi Laura,

Thanks for mentioning me and I'm glad my tweets are useful to people!

Do you have a reluctance to upgrade to Blogger's "Updated Editor"? I find it's easier for posting pictures and for changing the dynamics of the blog. You may just want to upgrade to have the Older Posts feature show up. It won't affect your layout. It didn't change mine when I upgraded.

Best of luck!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Raquelle! I haven't changed to the Updated Editor just because I didn't know what it would do to my layout and didn't know if it would give me the "older posts" button..so your info is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! Thank you so much.

I doubly appreciate your help!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older